Manchego Stuffed Dates
- 20 dates (Barhee, Halawy, Khadrawy, Medjool)
- 100 semi cured Manchego cheese (cured)
- 150 ml Vegetable oil (EV olive oil)
- 3 Tbsp Fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp mix of black and pink peppercorns
- 1 sprig (5 cm) rosemary
- Make a slice in the side of each of the dates and remove the pits
- Cut Manchego cheese into twenty 3,5 x 0,5 x 0,5-cm strips
- Insert a slice of Manchego cheese in to the dates
- Whisk together the oil and orange juice
- Place the dates in a jar, add the black and pink peppercorns, rosemary and pour in the mixed oil
- Cover the jar tightly and leave in a cool place for 1-2 weeks
Dates are widely used in the Spanish kitchen, especially in the South. Probably, this is the influence of the Arabic kitchen. This is why dates stuffed with cheese are considered as traditional cuisine. Any type of cheese can be used: fresh (a kind of creamy cheesy), semi-cured, cured, goat cheesy, sheep milk cheesy, mixed type.
Personal taste defines the choice. As an alternative to Manchego I would recommend cured or semi-cured Gruyère from Switcherland, Chedder, Pecorino (Italy), El Pastor (mainland Spain), Palmero (Canarian islands).