Crepes are a wonderfully versatile food. They range from sweet to savory and can be used for just about any occasion provided you adjust them a little. They look elegant and can be folded, cut or rolled to create a tasty dish.
- 2 large eggs
- 150 ml pear puree (canned or fresh)
- 200 ml milk
- 230 -270 ml AP flour
- 2 tbsp sugar (to taste)
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- zest ½ lemon (finely grated)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½-1 tsp ground cinnamon or cardamom (to taste)
- pinch of salt
- Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add sugar, brandy, pear puree, lemon zest, salt, melted butter, cinnamon/cardamom to eggs and stir well.
- Add half the flour and whisk or stir until the mixture is smooth. Add remaining flour and mix well to form a smooth paste. Add milk gradually, whisking or stirring between each addition to make a smooth batter. Cоver and leave batter to stand for 30 minutes before using.
- Place a non-stick pan with a diameter of at least 18cm over medium-high heat. Lightly grease the pan.
- Pour about 40-50 ml (lightly whisk again the batter before using) of crepe batter on the heated pan and swirl around the base until it covers the bottom (should be thin layer).
- Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10-15 seconds. Remove cooked crepe from pan and place crepe on a plate.
- Use crepes immediately, or cover and refrigerate until required.
Thoughts and Ideas
Here are some tips how to serve and enjoy the crepes.
- Sprinkle warm crepes with sugar and lemon, or serve with cream or ice cream and fruit.
- Put each crepe on an individual plate. Pour Brandy over each one, then sprinkle with sugar and flambé.
- Serve the crepes with fruit coulis.
- Chocolate or Nutella is always a popular combination.
You can cook and store crepes to have for later. Cook the crepes, then, layer the unfilled crepes with wax paper between each crepe. Slide them into a sealable bag and refrigerate them for up to three days. You can freeze them for up to two months if you wrap the stack of layered crepes in foil before putting them in a plastic bag.